New chapter!

Hello. 
I started my new job on Monday. I now work at a pre-school for babies to kids who are just before school age. I'm a trainee nursery worker, so basically a nursery assistant, working towards being qualified. I can't get qualified until I work a year in a child care setting though. 

My first week went really well. I'm still trying to get used to looking after kids. I've been placed in the babie's room. Basically kids who are 2 or under. All they do is play. It's hard to communicate with them as they can't really speak. Some can't even walk, and some are actual babies (4 month old!). 

I had spent a little time in the older kids room (there's 30 of them!). I definitely prefer babies. The older kids tend to ask too many questions, and speak too much. I had a kid tell me my name was horrible...I didn't know how to react or what to say. I should have told her it wasn't nice to say that etc. 

The room I've been placed in has a maximum of 16 kids. But those 16 can feel like 30!! So much climbing, and cheekiness. I love it though. I wish I started this career long ago. I don't know why it took me so long to decide what I wanted to "be" when I grew up. 

I guess sticking with Marine Biology would have been to please those who thought I couldn't advance in it. I should never listen to them. Although I enjoyed it, it didn't make me happy, and I certainly don't want to work in that field anymore. 

I guess I felt ashamed wanting to work with kids, or even going into primary school teaching. I always said it would be my last option as I felt embarrassed wanting to go into a school setting. A lot of people tend to say people go into teaching as a last resort. 

I'm now glad I have overcome that embarrassment. I am loving it so far. It's long days, working 8am-5pm. My mornings start with supervising some kids who arrive early for breakfast. Then it's a little bit of supervising whilst they play. Then it's morning snack. After some stay and go for a nap, whilst others go on a walk (sometimes nap in the buggy). Parental preference for naps I think! 
After they come back, play a bit more until lunch time. I supervise lunches and my word it's hard. 
After they play, and some go for a nap. Quite a lot actually! Then they wake up and more play. Then after snack. Then more play. Then the ones who are left have their tea. Then it's more play until I finish at 5. 

It sounds easy because all they do is play, but it's really not. They run riot! 
They're all at the stage where they still wear nappies too, so soon I will probably have to learn how to change nappies! Eek!!! 

Anyways, I hope I do a good job. I'm not sure how long I will be in Aberdeen though, David is wanting to move. We might end up in Korea teaching as we have been in touch with an academy who are wanting to hire us...David also has a Korean friend who works for them, so hopefully it works out! I don't want to leave the nursery so early, but if David isn't happy here, then we have to go somewhere where we are both happy. 

'till next time,

Comments

Popular Posts