The first day of a new chapter

A new chapter has started, and what a way to start it off! My new years eve was spent with some friends over here in Korea, and we ate lasagne and had a chilled out evening. My friend invited over some Russian students and they showed us a part of their culture. 


So, just before the bells, we wrote our wishes on a piece of paper, lit it on fire, and put the ashes in our drink. It didn't work so well though, the paper didn't burn properly and it almost burned my hand. We didn't have the count down like we have in the UK, but did our own using our phones. The other option was to go to Gyeongpo beach (my original plan) and watch the fireworks there, but it was cold and would have been heaving. 


Just after the bells, we headed outside and made some sparkler pictures. I've been wanting to do this for ages now! I wasn't sure if it was going to work, but it did, as you can see from the picture above. We also set off some fireworks, not real ones, but the ones you hold and it shoots into the sky. It reminded me of Harry Potter, and I couldn't help yelling out some spells. 


After about 3 hours of sleep, I woke super early to catch the New Year sunrise. It's such a popular tradition here, and many flock towards the beach to watch the first sunrise of the year. It was absolutely beautiful. Just before the sun peaked over the horizon, the sky was flooded with a lovely orange tone. 


The sunrise was beautiful, I couldn't really capture the real beauty of it in my photos as it looked more spectacular in real life. I was annoyed at the man who created a huge platform right in front of the sunrise though. You can see him just to the left of the sun. 


It was such a nice start to the year. I'm ready to do some amazing things this year, and glad it started off so well. 

So here's to another great year! 

Kelly 

Comments

  1. aw i love the idea of writing your wishes down at the start of the year! that's so sweet. i also wish watching the sunrise was a tradition in the uk...but it's definitely waking up in bed with a banging hangover and ordering pizza on new years day haha!

    wishing you all the best for 2018, lovely!

    katie. xx lacoconoire.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I ever return home to the UK, I will make it a tradition to watch the sunrise :)

      Delete
  2. I love the writing down wishes idea, it’s a beautiful way to start the new year! Your sparkler photos are amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s such a good idea! Not the burning and drinking of the ashes though, haha!

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely tradition to watch the sunrise! 😍 Beautiful pictures too. Happy New Year. 😘

    Maud
    www.mypassionprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn’t lazy, I would do it every year! The beaches are always heaving with people too!

      Delete
  4. I love it! Please make your pictures bigger so we can see the amazing stuff you do! Happy new year Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can click the image to enlarge the picture. I’m not a fan of huge pictures on my blog.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that tradition with burning your wish and putting the ashes in your drink! It's kinda fun but for some reason I didn't do it this New Year. Amazing pictures!

    Frertsu
    https://kirakiratsu.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great tradition and I loved learning about the Russian culture!!

      Delete
  6. I love hearing about different traditions it sounds amazing and the sunrise bit is my fav i wish we got nice sunrises here lol happy new year ❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it :)! Haha when I go home I will keep up with the tradition!

      Delete
  7. I love that tradition of going to the beach to catch the sunrise! I have never heard of it before but it's absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s such a great idea and I hope more people get to do it! It definitely gets people up super early!

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year!! Glad you had a nice time! I saw the picture of the 2018 but I was unaware that it was you that did it, I so want to try that. Also, was the point to drink the burnt paper in the glass afterwards?

    How neat, love the tradition of the sunrise, I should really start a tradition of my own and make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave me a comment :)
Please leave your blog URL, so I can have a nosey at yours too!

Popular Posts