Homemade Pork and Mushroom Gyoza and Pork and Prawn Shumai

Hello.
So today I made gyoza wrappers! It was so easy. A little bit faffy but easy. 
I love gyoza's. They're really cheap to buy in Asian supermarkets, but sometimes it's nice to make things from scratch. 

Ingredients 
(wrapper)
1 cup of flour
100 ml hot water
Cornstarch

(Filling)
Pork mince
Onions, chopped
Mushrooms, chopped,
Cooked Prawns, chopped
1 tbsp Soy Sauce
1tbsp Thai Fish Sauce

Pour the hot water into the flour a little at a time, until the dough gathers together. Too much water makes it gloopy, so it's best to add a little at a time. Add more water if it's too dry.

Flour the surface, then transfer the dough to it. Knead the dough for a good 10 minutes. It should be smooth and elastic. 

Half the dough and roll each into sausages. Cling film and then leave at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Mean while, combine the mince, onions, mushrooms, soy sauce and fish sauce. Mix really well. 
I cooked half of the mixture, and then left the other half raw. 
I wasn't sure how to cook the gyoza's with raw pork mince, so thought it was safer to cook it before adding to the wrappers. 

After 30 minutes, take a roll of dough, and cut them into 1 inch pieces. Work with one at a time. When not using the dough, keep covered with a damn cloth to stop it drying out. 

Roll each piece until it's around 1mm thick, and then use a cookie cutter to cut round circles. 
Lightly dust each wrapper with cornstarch to stop them from sticking. 

Using the cooked mixture, add about a teaspoon to the centre of the wrapper. Moisten the outer edges of the wrapper with warm water. Fold the wrapper into a half moon shape and pinch until it is sealed. 

I also decided to make shumai. I added the prawns to the mixture, and placed on the centre of the wrapper. I then gathered it up, and added more mixture until filled. 


Pan fry the gyoza's. Because they are already cooked inside, you just need to cook until the outside browns a little. The wrapper should "puff up slightly". 
If you want to use raw mixture, Pan fry one side until it crisps. Then add to a steamer until cooked through.

For the shumai, place in a steamer for about 10-12 minutes until cooked through. 
If you don't have a steamer, add about 2 cm of water to a sauce pan. Bring to boil. Then place a sieve on top of the pan and cover with tin foil. 

I hope my instructions make sense. I'm not good with describing the processes. 
I liked making these. I had lots of time on my hands today so it was fun. Next time though I'll probably just buy the wrappers at the store. 

Anyways, 
'till next time,

Comments

Popular Posts