City-Sick

They always say the time after university can be one of the loneliest times you will ever experience. 
I have always had a big handful of friends, both at university and where I worked (at the Zoo). I lived in the capital of Scotland, Edinburgh, where I knew quite a few people, and made friendships with a lot of people over the 5 years I have lived there. 


I am lucky to have David in my life, he keeps me sane, and well, keeps me from becoming sad and "depressed".

However, since moving away from a big city to a rather small town, I have not gotten used to the fact that I don't have any close friends here, or have things to "do". Things to do like randomly visiting a cinema or spontaneous coffee dates. 

Have you ever had the feeling of home sickness? That is exactly how I feel everyday. I try to hide the fact that I've not gotten used to the small town way of life. I secretly (although not so secret anymore) wish I could move back to Edinburgh, or even another big city. Don't get me wrong, Stornoway is a lovely town, with plenty of nice people, and great people to work with. I guess you could say that I'm "city-sick". I cried a lot the first couple of months of moving, I still get pretty sad, however stopped the crying thankfully. 

I thought that I'd be used to living here by now. I thought that it was just home sickness! But I don't think it is anymore. I don't actually know what it is. I always thought that a quiet town would be my cup of tea, but it's definitely the busy cities I love. 

David and I calculated that, we only have 12 weeks left in Stornoway-we hope to be in Korea, but of course things may change. I found out that a lot of Korean schools prefer white westerners over Asian looking westerners! David has reassured me that they had quite a few non-white westerners working in schools. 

I guess there's not long to go, I should really make the most of living here in the Western Isles! I'd be sad to leave my ducks behind, they have been a great part of my life up here. I hope we'd be able to find a nice home for them, I don't want to let them go in the wild!

Anyways,
'till next time

Comments

Popular Posts