Heinz Sticky BBQ Smooth and Sweet review + BBQ Chicken Drumstick Recipe

Hello!
Again, I tried an amazing product, Heinz Sticky BBQ smooth and sweet dipping or marinade sauce. Last time I used this as a marinade, I didn't add anything other than the sauce, so it didn't stick to the chicken drumsticks at all. This time I decided to follow the Heinz recipe which can be found here, my recipe was changed slightly. 


The sauce can be found along the condiments aisle in supermarkets. I bought mine for £1.70 at Tesco. It was located amongst the other BBQ sauces. There were other sauces which caught my eye, such as the Jack Daniels BBQ sauce, however this one jumped out at me due to the size (500g) and the price! 

The taste test! By itself it has a very sweet with a hint of smokeyness. I wouldn't say it was a "wow" taste for BBQ sauce. I've had better...i.e the BBQ sauce from Mcdonalds. 

Ingredients
3tbsp honey
15 tbsp BBQ sauce
1 tsp of ground ginger
1 tsp of hot chilli powder
3 tsp Lea and Perrins Worcester Sauce
Pack of chicken drum sticks (About 7 drumsticks) 

Method
1.  Preheat oven to 200 degrees C then Mix 1/2 the ground ginger and 1/2 the chilli powder in a bowl 
2. Add into the mixture 10 tbsp of the Heinz BBQ sauce, 2 tbsp of honey and 1/2 tsp of Worcester sauce, Mix well, until all combined. 

3. Score the chicken drumsticks, I find that the sauce gets into the grooves and tastes better. 

4. Add the drumsticks into the marinade, and mix in with your hands. Massage the chicken! It worked the marinade into the meat! Leave to marinade for around an hour, I waited 3 hours! 
             
5. Line a baking dish (preferably one which isn't too flat, so the sauce stays near the chicken!) with tin foil and place the chicken and marinade onto the dish. 

6. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees C for 30 mins! Turn half way through. 

7. Mix the rest of the ingredients to make more marinade, so 1 tbsp honey, 5 tbsp bbq sauce, 1/2 ground ginger, 1/2 hot chilli powder, 1/2 Worcester sauce. 

Spoon this mixture on top of the chicken pieces and then bake for a further 15 mins. 

*Serve with rice and peas, or wedges and salad*


The extra sauce at the end makes it really sticky! 

I served my chicken with egg fried rice and peas. 

Overall, I found this recipe to be fantastic! It is so easy, you could even get your children to help you make the marinade! The addition of chilli powder gives this recipe a big kick. The honey helps the sauce to stick onto the chicken. 

Next time I will use the same recipe, but for ribs, or maybe pork belly! Watch this space! 

Overall a 4/5 hearts for this product! Price is good for the size, it marinades well, however it's sold as a marinade and a dipping sauce. It's a bad marinade if you don't add the rest of the ingredients listed here (in my opinion) and the dipping sauce isn't as nice as other BBQ sauces. 

Comments

Popular Posts