Bubble tea Recipe and WuFuYuan Tapioca Review

So, if you're like me, sometimes you crave bubble tea! It can be hard to get as bubble tea cafe's are rare unless you're in a major city. I'm in Stornoway, we don't have a real Chinese restaurant let alone bubble tea! It's hard to find ingredients too, but luckily I have the internet! 
I bought instant tapioca pearls, made by WuFuYuan. I've seen these in Asian supermarkets, so bought some online. 
I also found mango flavoured matcha powder online, and bought some from ebay :). You can make bubble tea naturally, but I'm too lazy, so bought the ready made powder. 
The tapioca pearls come in a wee vacuum packed pouch and are around £2.50 depending on the store you buy from!! Once you've cooked them, they recommend you use them right away or they become hard. You can buy tapioca pearls which aren't instant like these, but they take a long time to cook. These only take 5 minutes. If you're only making a drink for yourself, don't use the whole pack, even for two you only need 1/4 of the pack! 

They look like they're coated in sugar! But they're just dried. 
Bring a pan of water to boil, add 1/3 of the tapioca pearls and cover with a lid for 5 minutes. They will float to the surface and will be soft right through. 

The matcha powder was bought on ebay. It has a strong smell of artificial mango. It as £5.95 for a 200g bag. It was weird, they sent it in a weird box, and inside the box was a zip lock bag. 

Ingredients
WuFuYuan Black tapioca pearls
40g Mango Match Powder, can be bought on ebay! 
250ml Milk
Ice Cubes
Cocktail shaker (Optional)

Method
1. Boil the tapioca pearls for 5 mins, drain and place into a glass
2. Add 40g of matcha powder into the cocktail shaker 
3. Add ice cubes and 250ml of milk
4. Shake until frothy
5. Pour the mixture into the glass, through the top of the cocktail shaker so that no ice goes into the glass
6. Serve with thick straws!


They tasted fairly weak to me, but I don't think I added enough matcha powder! I didn't weigh it...it does get quite sickly because of the milk! 
The tapioca pearls were good! Although they are supposed to be lightly caramel flavoured. I couldn't taste much caramel. I love the texture of tapioca! These were great as they cooked in such a short time. You don't want to be waiting for ages when making a drink! The pearls can be soaked in honey or sugar water once cooked too, to sweeten them...
Next time I think I will make natural bubble tea without the artificial flavouring, will see how it goes :).
Until then,

Comments

Popular Posts